Sunday, September 19, 2010

Candle Project - Rub 'n Buff on Wax



In my continuing efforts to test out Amaco Rub 'n Buff on different surfaces and materials, I decided to dress up a plain pillar candle with Silver Leaf Rub 'n Buff and Ruby Rub 'n Buff


I made a stencil using masking tape and the Colonial Pattern Fiskars Paper Edger. The project turned out really well, I think. It was simple and easy to do, and the finished product looks really nice. I was able to make a cheap candle look a lot better. I wanted to add a little more to it even by sticking some pins with colored head into the candle or tying ribbon around it, but I didn't have anything appropriately colored.



First, I made stencils using masking tape and the Colonial pattern Fiskars Paper Edger. I find that it is best to lay the tape directly on one of the blades, smooth it out, and then cut. For longer stencils, I lay the tape on a piece of wax paper to keep it from sticking to itself as I cut. The photo above shows the results of my cutting. I put small piece of tape at either end of the patterns as well to complete the stencil.




Next, I painted inside the stencil with with Silver Leaf Rub 'n Buff. I was really impressed with how Rub 'n Buff coats wax. I barely needed any at all to coat each pattern strip, and the color is bright and clear. There is no absorption at all, so you will never need a second coat.


To make the Ruby pinstripes, I cut strips of masking tape in half and place them between the silver patterned stripes.


 

I painted the stripes with Ruby Rub 'n Buff. Once again, the wax took the color nicely.


 

Here is the finished product. Simple and easy to do. How do you dress up your candles? Let me know in the comments!

P.S. I am taking a break from videos - maybe permanently. They were a lot of work, and I wasn't getting that many views on them anyway. I will post a lot more process photos (as above) for future projects to make up for it.

1 comment: