Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My Bad - Rub 'n Buff on a Glossy Bead



I claim to be an "amateur crafter" - someone who really has no idea what he is doing, someone who makes mistakes and isn't afraid to admit it. So far, my projects have been simple enough that I haven't had the opportunity to make many mistakes. That changes today. In an attempt to demonstrate Amaco Rub 'n Buff on plastic, I tried to coat a large white plastic bead with Ruby Rub 'n Buff. Unfortunately, the finished, glossy surface of the bead didn't take the material very well. 


As Rub 'n Buff is made up mostly of metal flakes and pigments with a clear liquid binder. The flakes and colors didn't spread evenly over the glossy surface - they clumped together producing the marbled look below. Part of my goal in writing this blog in addition to showing my mistakes is showing how to correct or, in this case, use my mistakes. One of my next projects will incorporate the rest of the beads and the marbled look you get when you apply Rub 'n Buff. Project photo, video, and article to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment