Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Picture Frame Craft Project 2 - Rub 'n Buff and a Paper Edger

My first attempt at making a picture frame didn't go quite as planned, so I decided to try another one. I went a little simpler this time - no hot-gluing, no "distressed look" as I said repeatedly in the last video in an attempt to cover the fact that I'm just a messy crafter. I used Ruby Rub 'n Buff, Gold Leaf Rub 'n Buff, and the Pinking pattern Fiskars Paper Edger with masking tape on an unfinished wood picture frame to make alternating zig-zag and straight vertical stripes on another unfinished wooden picture frame.

I made the stripes by cutting a long piece of masking tape in half with the Pinking Paper Edger. TIP: I stuck the tape to a piece of wax paper first so that as I was cutting the long strip, the tape wasn't able to stick to itself, the scissors, me, etc. It released from the wax paper perfectly, and I had my perfect stencil. I got the alternating stripes by leap-frogging the two sides of the stencil down the frame - when the cut sides faced each other, it stenciled the zig-zag. When the un-cut sides faced each other, it stenciled a straight line.

I moved down the frame, painting the zig-zag with Ruby Rub 'n Buff and the stripe with Golf Leaf Rub 'n Buff. You can see a pic below and a video below that. I think it turned out pretty well - a little rough, but you get the idea. If I were to do it again, I would make a bunch of stencil strips. Using the same one over and over resulted in a stencil that wasn't very sticky by the end, and that led to some sloppy stenciling.



No comments:

Post a Comment